Child Support And Custody Modification Or Enforcement

Child support and custody agreements are not set in stone. While it can be difficult, it is possible to obtain a modification to existing child support and custody agreements. Our attorneys at Cobert, Haber & Haber have decades of experience representing parents in court to modify these types of agreements.

Changing Child Support And Custody Is Possible

Modifying a court order will typically require a "change in circumstances." The rules are strict to prevent emotionally charged decisions from disrupting a child's home-life stability. Some reasons to modify a custody agreement would include:

  • A parent has moved
  • A parent's financial situation has changed
  • The health of a family member has changed
  • The child is neglected or abused while in the care of a parent

Child support payments may be adjusted if your custody agreement has changed. It is also possible to modify child support alone. To change a child support order a parent must have a significant life change. If you are living on less income or if three years have passed since the last order was issued then a child support agreement can be modified. We can advocate for you in court to modify your agreement.

Spousal maintenance, also known as alimony, can also be modified after a divorce settlement. Similar to child custody and support, a change in circumstances is required. These changes can be on either side. If the paying spouse has a significant shift in income or health then an adjustment can be made. Spousal maintenance may also be changed if the receiving spouse begins living with a new partner or is remarried.

Tough Enforcement Lawyers On Your Side

Divorced adults and parents should always receive the payments they were promised in a court agreement. Unfortunately many are denied their spousal maintenance and child support. Our attorneys are experienced in recovering these payments for deserving adults and families.

Anyone who does not pay their required child support or spousal maintenance payments can face serious consequences. Missing these payments can result in fines and jail time. The court has the power to garnish wages and seize property in order to restore payment for you. Unfortunately these means can become a tedious process and may not always result in the money that your family needs. Our attorneys can help you bring a suit against a parent or spouse to gain back the payment that was agreed upon in your divorce or custody proceedings.

Personalized Family Law Services

Our attorneys will work one on one with you to modify or enforce an agreement. We are available for after-hours or weekend appointment by special request. Call our Long Island office at 800-724-5209 or contact us online.